Our Philosophy

Festina lente
-make haste...slowly

Friday, November 5, 2010

What the??

Just damn. Damn, damn, damn. And we only have liability of course since the car is paid for. So out of our pockets we'll have to replace an electric window now, hopefully before our road trip to the Georgia Organics conference one week from today. Problem is, the sign is true! Out of our pockets these days comes mostly lint and cartoon moths. Certainly not the kind of spare change required to cover these sorts of acts of boneheads.
I hopped in the car early this morning to run get some baby cereal and bananas, and saw the mess. Figures, I thought. What the hell? They pulled the face off of our old and busted CD player, screwing up the console around it, but couldn't manage to get the business part out. Or didn't bother once they saw what it was. We don't care about stereos; you'd think the overflowing garden right beside the car, and the age of the car itself, might suggest that. I guess I'll just leave the doors open from now on. I'd rather lose Ella's booster seat than a window! Trunk was ajar too, but apparently they didn't like the contents of my urban farm vehicle's trunk either: soil probe, work boots, battery charger, mattock, definitely no amps or subwoofers.
Funny thing is, I didn't really care all that much. I didn't feel victimized, or stalked, or even unlucky. Things like cars mean less and less to me these days. I almost wish we could just be done with the whole car thing, and crap like this just reinforces that desire. But we're not ready to get stuck in this neighborhood, so we better hang onto it for a little while longer.
Idiot.

5 comments:

  1. At least the tinting film makes an easier clean up. Here's to having nothing of "value"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tripp -- I'm sorry that happened to you! It reminds me of when I lived in Brooklyn, N.Y., in the 1980s and 1990s. These were the years when crack was king and personal safety on the streets was pretty iffy. Every car -- and there are a lot of cars in Brooklyn, parked end-to-end on every street -- every car, I'm here to tell ya, had a sign, or several, in its window(s), to wit, "Nothing in car"..."Nothing in trunk"..."no valuables on board"... "nothing worth stealing"...etc. Many cars had really loud alarms, too, and they tended, as these things will, to go off in the wee hours. There were also many house break-ins, most of them through the skylights that every brownstone has. Someone actually tried to steal my car, a ten-year-old Toyota. My upstairs neighbor saw it happen. The car had a stick shift and the would-be perpetrator jack-rabbitted it up the street, finally stalled out and gave up in disgust. He tossed the glove compartment pretty good, but I needed to clean that out, anyway. Best of luck to you and yours! I'm really enjoying your blog, by the way. I'm new here, wandered over from CFN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dovey, yeah, durty bastids is right! First ice of the season on the 5 remaining windows this morning. Our first frost date is 11/6; pretty accurate!

    Jess, thanks for the official swing-by, my dear! And I agree, if people only understood what will be of real value in the future, we'd be marks for sure.

    Mary, thanks for the Brooklyn story, which is a place I don't think I'd want to live! I absolutely loathe and despise car alarms. And crowds. And high-rises. And...

    A steadily-declining number of cars and car alarms is just one more way the world will be a better place once energy descent really takes hold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, leaving the doors open doesn't always help. I used to have a soft-top Jeep, and I once had someone CUT (with a knife I think) through the vinyl windows to get to the inside, when all they had to do was... unzip it.

    Idiots.

    Needless to say, I never left anything of value inside a soft-top Jeep. Why would anyone?

    Idiots.

    ReplyDelete